Monday, January 30, 2012

Garden Plans

So, I mentioned in an earlier post about making garden plans.

Yes. I'm a planner. I'm not a very good gardener, necessarily. I can plant, water, and hope it all turns out for the best. This year, I will be muchly pregnant during planting time, so hopefully Jamund will step up to the plate in the preparing and planting of the garden.

I plan to buy seeds and/or transplants and/or etc. (potatoes) from either Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds (I heard about this company from a great book called Make the Bread, Buy the Butter) and/or Seed Savers Exchange. (Enough and/or's for you?). This year's garden may or may not (but most likely may) include: potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, tomatillo, carrots, beets, zucchini, spaghetti squash, and spinach. I also plan to go to our local nursery for some onions, more tomatoes and possibly peppers, and probably some flowers.

Having a garden the last two years (and getting Jacob's Cove produce boxes last year) helped me delineate what I like to eat or grow and what seems to do well in our climate. For instance: no cucumbers (I can only enjoy so many), not great success/not worth it crops for us have been brussel sprouts, melons, broccoli (okay, but not super worth it), and probably some others? Also, we are buttercup and acorn squashed out--although I'm excited to try spaghetti squash!

Oh man, and I'm so excited for carrots and beets! I really like beets, and carrot top pesto= nice. I almost don't really care if the carrots themselves turn out, so long as the tops are there!

IMG_0528

Hopefully we will have a dinner like this coming up in the next few months?? Mmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment